File a petition to change your name to match your gender identity

Once you complete your forms, you need to file them with the court and pay a filing fee. If you can’t afford the fee, you can ask the court to waive it.

How to file forms with the court

  • Take your forms to the court clerk

    Find the superior court in the county where you live. If there are different locations, find the closest court to you where civil cases are filed.

    If you live out of state, you file in the county that issued the birth certificate you are changing or where the marriage was entered, if you're changing a marriage certificate. Get more information about where to file if you live out of state.

    At the courthouse, file the forms you filled out by giving the original and the copies to the clerk.

    The clerk will stamp the forms, keep the original, and return the copies to you.

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail the original and copies to the clerk. You need to include the filing fee (or request for a fee waiver) and a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. Make sure to include enough postage. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope, you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.

    Some courts allow online filing (called e-filing). You can find out if your court has online filing on your court’s website.

  • Pay a filing fee

    You’ll need to pay a fee of $435-$450 to the clerk when you file your forms.

    If you can’t afford the fee, you can ask the clerk for a fee waiver. You may qualify for a fee waiver if:

    • You receive public benefits
    • Your income is less than a set amount
    • You can’t afford the fee and meet your basic needs
  • Ask the clerk how to get your signed order

    The clerk will give the filed forms to a judge who will make a decision after a 6 week waiting period. Ask the clerk how you can pick up a signed name change order.

    If you are in jail or prison, or on parole, you will have to give a copy of your Petition, form NC-100 and the NC-110 attachment to:
    • If you are in state prison, have the warden notified. Ask the warden's office how.
    • If you are in county jail, have the county sheriff’s department notified. Ask the sheriff’s office how.
    • If you are on parole, notify the regional parole administrator of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). Ask the administrator’s office how.

    Get step-by-step instructions on how to notify the jail, prison, or CDCR.

Change your name to match your gender identity

What's next?

Once you’ve filed your forms, your next step is to pick up your signed name change order.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.