Finish your parentage case in a default with agreement

To finish your parentage case, you must turn in a set of final forms along with your agreement to the court. These forms let the court know you met the required steps to get a default and you and the other parent agree on establishing parentage and on the court orders you want.

Before you start

You will need an agreement

You must have everything you agree on in writing - you can't just tell the court that you agree. Once you agree, you can use the forms below to write out your agreement. The respondent's signature on the forms must be notarized unless their lawyer is also signing the forms. If you haven't reached an agreement, get tips on how to reach an agreement including what issues your agreement should cover.

Check that you are ready to submit your default judgment

  • It’s been 30 days since you served the other parent with the Summons and Petition

  • The other parent never filed a Response (if they did, finish your case a different way)

  • You filed a Proof of Service of Summons (form FL-115

The court can’t process your final judgment forms if you haven't filed a Proof of Service of Summons. If you haven’t it yet, you can file it when you turn in the final forms.

How to prepare forms to finish your parenting case

  • Sign an agreement (stipulation) saying you are the child's legal parents

    First, you both need to read and sign an Advisement of Waiver of Rights (form FL-245). The judge can't accept your agreement unless you sign this form stating that you understand. Then you will need to sign a Stipulation and complete the paperwork to finish your case (a judgment) as described below. 

  • Fill out forms to ask for a default with agreement

    This form asks the court to enter a default because the other person didn’t respond. Once filed, the clerk mails a copy to the other person.

    • Request to Enter Default (form FL-165

      On item 2, check box f. You do not need to complete a Property Declaration because this is a case to establish a parental relationship.

    talking alert icon

    You can turn in the Request to Enter Default now or turn it in with the rest of your forms later. This form prevents the other person from filing a Response without the court’s permission

  • Fill out judgment forms

    • Declaration for Default or Uncontested Judgment (form FL-230)

      This explains what orders you want the judge to make in the final judgment.

    • Stipulation for Entry of Judgment re: Determination of Parental Relationship (form FL-240)

      This tells the judge that you and the other parent are agreeing and that you want your agreement to become a court order. Both parents must sign this form. The respondent (other parent) must sign it in front of a notary public.

    • Advisement and Waiver of Rights re: Determination of Parental Relationship (form FL-235)

      Each parent must sign one of these forms. The respondent (other parent) must sign their form in front of a notary public. Attach both of the signed forms to your Stipulation, Form FL-240.

    If the other parent did not file a Response and is not represented by a lawyer, the respondent's (other parent's) signatures must be notarized on the Stipulation (form FL-240) and the Advisement (form FL-235). A notary public may charge a fee of up to $15 for each signature they notarize. A court fee waiver will not waive this fee. 
    If both the other parent and their lawyer sign the Stipulation (FL-240), the other parent's signatures do not need to be notarized.
    • Judgment (Uniform Parentage — Custody and Support) (form FL-250)

      This is the final court order to establish parentage. If you’re asking the court to make any orders about child custody or support, you will need to attach more forms to this.

    • Notice of Entry of Judgment (Family Law — Uniform Parentage — Custody and Support) (form FL-190)

      The court will mail this form back to you after the judge has signed the judgment. It’s the official notice from the court that tells you the case is complete.

    illustration of a child and adult

    If the local child support agency is involved in your case, the agency must approve and sign-off on any child support agreement you have. If you used Form FL-350, there's a place on page 2 for a lawyer from the agency to sign.

  • Fill out or attach child custody and child support forms

    For child custody and visitation (parenting time)

    If you have a child custody and visitation order, attach that to the Judgment.

    If you don't have an order, fill out and attach:

    • Child Custody and Visitation (Parenting Time) Order Attachment (form FL-341)

    This tells the court how you want custody and visitation (parenting time) handled.

    For child support

    If you have a child support order, attach the order to your Judgment.

    If you don't have a child support order, fill out and attach:

    • Child Support Information and Order Attachment (form FL-342)

    This tells the court how you want child support handled.

    If you want child support to be paid directly from the other parent's paycheck, also submit:

    You must attach:

    This lets you and the other parent know about how to ask the other parent to help pay for any of your child's healthcare costs not covered by insurance and how to ask to change a child support order.

    Also, submit:

    Do not attach the Child Support Case Registry Form to your judgment. Submit it along with everything, if you haven't turned one in before.

  • Get help reviewing your forms

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your Family Law Facilitator or Self-Help Center to find out if they require any optional forms and check how many envelopes you need to provide when you turn in your forms.

    Find a self help center

Finish your parentage case

What's next?

Once your judgment forms and agreement are complete, you need to prepare the envelopes that the clerk will use to mail you and the other parent the final judgment and other papers. Then take (or mail) your envelopes and judgment forms to the court.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Parentage?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.