Respond to Request for Order for child support

If you were served with a Request for Order (form FL-300) asking for child support orders, this means that the other parent of your children has asked the judge to make orders for the financial support of your children.  

Review your options

  • If you don’t respond, the judge may make a decision based on the information given by the other parent.   
  • If you respond and participate, the judge will make a decision based on information provided by both parents. 

To respond, you fill out and file forms with the court. You then have your response forms mailed or given to the other parent. Finally, you go to your court date.  

Before you start

Gather your financial information

When you respond, you will need to tell a judge about your financial situation. You will need proof of income for the last two months. 

Find out how support is calculated

A Family Law Facilitator can explain child support and help you calculate the amount the court would likely order.  

Try to reach an agreement if possible

Before or at the court date, the parents must talk to each other (unless there is a restraining order) to try to make a child support agreement.

How to respond to a request for child support

  • Fill out Responsive Declaration to Request for Order form

    Responsive Declaration to Request for Order (form FL-320)

    This form lets you tell the judge and the other parent if you agree or disagree with the request and why. 

    For child support, fill out items 3 and 10.

    Item 10, “Facts to Support,” on Page 2 asks you to explain why the judge should order what you’re asking for. If you need more space, check the box that says, “Attachment 10.” You can use Attached Declaration (form MC-031).  

    Write down the facts, not just opinions, that support what you’re telling the court.  

    For example, tell the court if things have changed since the last order for support, like you lost your job, are making less money, or are spending more time with the children.  

    If there is a document or other information that supports what you say (like a letter from your job), attach that to your request.  


    If the other parent asked for more than one thing in their Request for Order (form FL-300),

     like child custody or something else, use just one form to respond to all of their requests. Learn more about how to use the form on Information Sheet: Responsive Declaration to Request for Orders (form FL-320-INFO). 

  • Fill out Income and Expense Declaration

    Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150)

    This form asks how much money you earn and how you spend your money.   

    • Attach proof of your income (like paystubs) from the past two months to the form 

    • Do not attach a copy of your last year’s taxes. Bring a copy (if you have one) to the hearing  

  • Attach documents to support your case

    illustration of gathering documentation

    Sometimes it's important to have documents that support your case. If you have any, you can attach or file these with your request so the judge can consider them at the hearing.

    • Examples of documents that support your may include things like school grades, a letter from a counselor, or your work schedule. 
    • Black out any private information like a Social Security number or account numbers.
    • If there is a witness (someone who saw or personally knows something), you can ask them to write and sign a statement that says what they know. Learn more about witness statements.

    If you don't have these ready now, you can file them later.

  • Make copies of your forms

    After you’ve filled out, signed, and dated both forms, make 2 copies of the forms.   

  • File your forms

    a member of the public showing documents to a court clerk

    To file your forms with the court, give the original and the 2 copies to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original and will stamp the copies and return them to you.  

    Yes, you can file by mail. Mail your original and 2 copies to the clerk. You need to include the filing fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope so the clerk can mail your copies back to you. If you do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope you will have to go to the courthouse to pick up your copies.  

    Some courts allow online filing. You can find out if your court has online filing by visiting your court’s website.  

Respond to a request for child support

What's next?

Once you’ve filed the forms, the next step is to serve the other parent. This means having another adult deliver a copy of the forms you filed. You can do this by mail or in person. 

Before or after you serve the forms, you can start to prepare for your court date.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Child Support?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.