Gather and share financial information

Sharing information about your finances means you fill out forms that ask about what you own, owe, earn, and spend. You give these forms and copies of some financial documents to your spouse or domestic partner. 

Before you start

Figure out your deadline to share your information. 

  • If you're the one who started the divorce process (you're the petitioner), share within 60 days after filing your Petition

  • If you filed a response (you're the respondent), share within 60 days after you filed the Response

These instructions are the same whether you're getting a divorce or legal separation.

How to share your financial information

  • Gather financial documents

    You will need:  

    1. Tax returns from last 2 years 

    1. Proof of income (like pay stubs) for the past 2 months 

    1. Any documents that show what you own and what you owe 

    You may need other documents. For example: 

    • Mortgage statements

    • Bank account statements 

    • The title to your house or car 

    • Credit card statements 

    • Retirement account statements (pension, 401k, IRA)

    Make copies of everything. You’ll need to attach the copies to your forms. 

  • Fill out forms

    Once you’ve gathered all of your financial documents, you’ll fill out three forms: 

    1. Declaration of Disclosure (form FL-140)
      This form is a cover sheet for what you’ll share with your spouse. You must sign it. 

    1. Income and Expense Declaration (form FL-150
      This form asks about how much money you earn and how you spend your money. You need to attach proof of your income from the past two months to the form. 

    1. Schedule of Assets and Debts (form FL-142) (or Property Declaration (form Fl-160)
      This tells your spouse about what you own and owe. Attach copies of the documents you gathered. To fill this form out, you need to know the difference between community property and separate property.

    If you leave something out or lie, you could lose your property and pay fees and fines.

    The court can order that your spouse gets the item you left out or order that you pay a fine and your spouse's attorney fees. The court can also cancel any agreement or court decision about property or spousal support. 
  • Make a copy of forms and attachments

    The copy is for your spouse. The original is for you.  

    These don’t get filed in court, so you need to keep your original in a safe place in case there’s ever any questions about it. 

  • Have someone mail a copy of the forms to your spouse

    Have someone 18 or older (not you) mail a copy of your disclosure documents to your spouse. Do not file or mail these documents with the court. They only go to your spouse.

    illustration of service by mail

    If you’re the Petitioner and haven’t served your Petition and Summons, you can serve your disclosures with them. This way you only have to serve the person once. But, if you serve them with your Petition and Summons, you'll need to serve them using personal service, rather than simply mailing them.     

Share financial information

What's next?

After you shared the information with your spouse, you need to let the court know by filing another form. 

success alert banner:

Have a question about Divorce?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.