Change your name to match your gender identity

You start the process of changing your name to match your gender identity by filling out court forms.

These instructions are only to change your name to match your gender identity. 

You must use different instructions if you also need a court order recognizing your gender identity.

How to fill out forms to change your name

  • Download the forms or fill them out online

    You will need to fill out these forms:

    • Petition for Change of Name (form NC-100)
      • Since you are changing your name to match your gender identity, make sure to check box 6 on form NC-100.
    • Name and Information About the Person Whose Name is to be Changed  (form NC-110) (and attach it to the NC-100). On Item 7c, explain you're changing your name to match your gender.
    • Order to Show CauseChange of Name to Conform to Gender Identity (form NC-125)
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) (some courts do not require this form)
    • Decree Changing Name Form (form NC-130) (fill out the boxes at the top and Item 3)

    If you are changing your name and you're in the:

    • State Witness Program, or
    • Safe at Home address confidentiality program and are changing your name to avoid domestic violence, stalking, or human trafficking, or are a victim of sexual assault,

    you can ask the court to keep your name change confidential. Talk to your Self-Help Center to find out options. 

    If you're worried about safety, there are people that can help you come up with a safety plan to keep you safe at home, work, school, other places that you go, and online. To learn more about creating a plan, go to the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 1-800-799-SAFE.


    You will need to pay a fee when you file the forms ($435 - $450).  

    If you can't afford the fee, fill out another form to ask for a fee waiver.


    You can download the forms or you can use an online program to fill them out.

    Fill out forms online

  • Find out if you have any local forms to fill out

    Some courts also have local forms you have to use.

    Contact your court clerk’s office, check your court’s website, or talk to your court's Self-Help Center to ask if they have any local forms you need to use. The Self-Help Center may also be able to review your forms before you file them.

  • Make a copy

    Make a copy of all of your forms. When you file them, the court will keep the original and return the copy to you, stamped.

Change your name to match gender identity

What's next?

Once you’ve completed the forms, you’ll file them with the court clerk.

success alert banner:

Have a question about Name change?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.