Change child's name match gender one parent


Change your child's name to match their gender identity

In California, you can ask the court to change your child’s legal name to make it match their gender identity.


If you are the only parent asking the court to change your child’s legal name, you have to file a petition with the court, let the other parent know about it, and go to a court hearing if necessary. If your child’s other parent does not agree to change your child’s name, they have the right to oppose your request.


If the judge approves your request, you will get a decree changing your child’s name. The process generally takes about 2 to 3 months.


Choose any part of the process below to get step-by-step instructions.